What is next for Jonny Wilkinson


Jonny Wilkinson will make a decision on the future of his career in February, and will continue playing only if he feels it will benefit his club.

The 33-year-old, whose Toulon contract expires at the end of the season, retired from international rugby after last year's World Cup having won 91 caps for England and the British and Irish Lions, and has since helped inspire Toulon to first place in France's Top 14.

In an interview with L'Equipe, Wilkinson addressed speculation over whether he would look to continue for an additional year, saying: "I'm capable of carrying on, but it's a delicate balance. The question isn't what I would like to do, but what is best for my team. After I've asked myself that question, then I'll think about myself."

Should Wilkinson decide to retire, his swansong could be the Lions tour to Australia in June, though that would depend on Toulon's progress. The play-off final takes place on 1 June, the same day as the first Lions match in Hong Kong.

Speaking earlier this month, the Lions coach Warren Gatland said he would prefer to include France-based players only if "they can be on the plane with us … The most difficult thing is the guys at Toulon could be playing in a final the same day as our first game, so it is going to be difficult to integrate them and get them to be a part of the tour.

"But it is not something we need to commit to now, and we will look at the strength-in-depth in certain positions, and injuries, but the idea is to have everyone on the plane together."

Wilkinson said that he remains confident about Toulon's prospects this season, including the Heineken Cup.

"Can we do the double? I'd say yes. I'm never satisfied, but I'm happy with how we've played. We're heading in the right direction. The most important thing is the rapport between the players, and that's where we're lucky."

guardian.